..:Yahtzee:..

Monday, August 14, 2006

Absentee

Krista was at the cafe this evening. While we were chatting, she mentioned that I haven't updated my blog in a while, which got me thinking: I should post an update!! So here it is.

In the last 3 weeks, I found myself criss-crossing North America twice. I started out in Hamilton, drove to New Orleans and back, then drove from Hamilton to Detroit to hop on a plane back down south to Texas, flew back to Detroit, then drove back to Hamilton. If my calculations are correct, I racked up 5,765 Miles, which comes to roughly 9,278 Kilometers, for y'all Canadians. Is that a lot of traveling? Probably. But was it worth it? Without a doubt. Here's a "short" synopsis.

I haven't posted about my take on the New Orleans trip, but to sum it up, I must say it was more than I expected, but exactly what I needed. I'll have to give a dedicated post to the New Orleans trip which will hopefully come soon.
I posted my speaking engagements, but there was a lot more that happened during my trip to Texas. I was able to hang out with lots of friends, eat some phenomenal food, listen to sweet tunes, and drink some wicked tasty beer. A friend of mine has taken up the hobby of being a brewmeister. The last time I was in Austin, I sampled some of his brew, and it was hella good. This time, it just so happened that he brewed 6 more kegs of beer and was throwing a party. So I went and scored on some sweet nectar of choice hops and carbon. Unfortunately, I still don't have a liver, so couldn't drink more. But soon, I shall find myself in the ER for liver replacement surgery, and mark my words, Melvin, I will return for more.
While in Austin, I finally got to see my friend's band. I've been hearing lots of great things about them, but have never heard them before. The band's called Jadens Move, and their music is available on iTunes. Look 'em up, check 'em out. I promise you shall not be disappointed.
On my last night in Texas, I went to a restaurant called Saltlick with a group of good friends. On the menu? All you can eat BBQ with a spread that included brisket, ribs, sausage, and a whole assortment of fixin's to fill any gaps meat leaves behind. I must say, it was a meal and a half. The crazy thing was when I woke up the next day to catch my flight back to Detroit, I had the worst case of indigestion. In fact, I was afraid it would come out from both ends. Fortunately, it didn't. But what did come up was the nastiest case of burps I've ever had the pleasure of belching. It smelled and tasted like digested meats and sauce. Gross, you say? Well, it gets worse. That same evening, I find myself going #2 on the can, and to my surprise, the smells from the 'basement' were the same I had been getting from 'the attic'. That has never happened to me before, and I hope it never happens again.

After Texas was 5 days in Detroit with family. It was my dad's 60th birthday that weekend, so my brothers, Albert and Dennis, sister-in-law, Liz, and brother's girlfriend, Abby, all flew in to partake in the festivities. Dennis and Liz brought their dog, Rocky, which was a hoot. I was actually in Charlotte when they first got Rocky in February. He was this tiny little Bichon Frieze that was the size of a 6" subway sandwich. But now, he's grown significantly and has more energy than all the FRWY kids combined. One of the parties we went to was a BBQ at one of my dad's friends' place. They have this dog that probably has more bite than it has bark running around, and when we get there, Rocky darts out of the van and starts running around. Instinctively, this psycho dog goes running after Rocky and catches up to him. We didn't know what was going to happen, but it looked as if Rocky was going to turn from pet to lunch. Fortunately, the disaster was thwarted by a pack of screaming people running after Rocky and grabbing him from the clutches of Cujo.
Overall, my time in Detroit was pretty low key, but a great time none the less. It was really great seeing everyone again and hanging out with family. During that weekend, I realized that family is some thing that is so easily taken for granted. I remember there was a time that I got so sick and tired of being with family that I couldn't wait to get away. But now that I'm in Hamilton, my parents are in Detroit, my older brother Albert is in Denver, and my younger brother, Dennis and his wife, Liz, are in Charlotte, I find myself wishing that we all lived closer together. With this sort of sentiment, I find myself cherishing family get togethers all the more. Even though this past get together is still fresh in my mind, I'm already pumped about our next get together in Denver for Thanksgiving. In fact, I just booked my ticket today. Can you say 'Huzzah, sucka!!!!!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home