..:Yahtzee:..

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Amazed

About a year ago, I got to see Lisa Loeb in concert. She played at a venue in Toronto and I thoroughly enjoyed it 100%. That night, it was just her on an acoustic guitar and another person accompanying her on the electric. It was then that I realized I absolutely love female vocalists who can play a mean guitar.

Now fast forward to this evening. I had heard from Reg that the person who was playing this evening at the cafe was in town because she was recording an album in Toronto. In Saskatchewan, a local radio station wanted to get more local musicians onto the scene so they chose 20 different musicians and gave them each $10,000 to record an album. When Reg said this, I figured that this person must be pretty good. And let me say, pretty good is pretty close to being an insult.

Not only was she a really solid guitar player, her voice was powerful and precise, yet elegant and soothing. I would liken her to a cross between Macy Gray (not quite as raspy, twangy and crazy) and Feist. During her entire performance, which I must say was WAY too short, I was groovin' with her tunes and loving her music more and with each passing song. Even though it was very hot inside the cafe, her music captivated me and made me forget about the environment. (**Quick digression: I felt REALLY bad for Reg. It was so hot for him that he began feeling sick and was about to pass out. In fact, he said that if he didn't leave soon, he would need to go to the hospital. I know that he was really looking forward to seeing her play, but he had to leave. Reg, bro, I'm SO, SO, SO Sorry!!**) I thought that seeing Lisa Loeb had set the standard for solo female artists, but after tonight, the bar has been reset. Have you heard of her?

After her performance, I don't know what happened to me, but I think all those personality tests I've taken manifested themselves and overtook my masculinity. I began acting like a 12 year old school girl who just saw the hot jock walk down the hall. I couldn't stop trying to talk to her. It was embarassing, to say the least.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to hearing the album she just recorded in Toronto. If it's anything like her most recent album, look out world. Her name is Carrie Catherine, and she's simply amazing.

By the way, have I told you that I absolutely love female vocalists who can play a mean guitar?

2 Comments:

At 2:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A school girl indeed! But don't worry Kevin, you played it totally cool when you were around her! Even though you made her tea in the mircowave! - she didn't know! you're one smooth asian!

PS I Love Lisa Loeb!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger indigo:actress, entertainter, jew-ess... said...

hey chenman!
speaking of lisa loeb (and miranda... if you're listening...and if you're still around)
have you been checking out her show on life? #1 single? i just saw an episode on sunday... it's HILARIOUS!
anyhoo...
keep on rocking in the free world!
xoxo
the hermit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home