..:Yahtzee:..

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Killing My Meats

I'm a fan of cooking, partly because I like to eat, and because it's relaxing for me. I've grown accustomed to using a stove and an oven, but felt like expanding my repertoire. A little while ago, I bought a slow cooker in hopes of venturing into the land of tender eats and all day cooking. People say that it's nearly impossible to ruin food in a slow cooker, but apparently I am the exception to the stupid rule. I can make soups and pasta sauce in there with no problem, but when I start putting in meats, they come out tasting like crap. It smells amazing, but insanely dry. In fact, I tried making a beef roast in the slow cooker today, and when it was done, I took one bite and for the life of me couldn't swallow it because it was so dry. I honestly felt like I was chewing tree bark covered in sand. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I think I might retire this slow cooker and go back to what I know best, the good 'ol stove, oven and microwave.

6 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Margie said...

You often have to add extra water. I sometimes put in up to 2 cups of water and then add some bulion cube too if I want a gravey... also try not to lift the lid to look in. When lifting the lid it lowers the temp dramatically and then when the slow cooker has to heat up it dries things out because of temperature changing up and down.

Oh dear I am a slow cooker nerd...

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Read the cook-book.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger miranda said...

you should become a vegetarian.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Rachel Pede said...

margie knows everything!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger E. Chen said...

Kevin, are you serious? Do you put any liquid with the meat at all? I've never heard of said problem...perhaps you should stick to what you know 'cause you need your meat! :)

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey man.. check out

http://www.a-crock-cook.com/slow-cooker-recipe.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home