..:Yahtzee:..

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

An Ode To Fudge

Some people know that my parents have a little white Maltese called Fudge.

Some people also know that my goofy mom refers to her as my little sister.

But what people don't know is what kind of personality she had.

Most people don't know that whenever the doorbell rang, she would start yapping and barking.

Most people don't know that she usually sleeps in my parents' bedroom, but if they were gone and you were still asleep, she'd come in and sleep in your room.

Most people don't know that whenever she wanted to play with you, she'd start biting your socks and try to yank 'em off.

Most people don't know that when we were sitting on the couch and watching TV, she'd jump on the couch and snuggle up to you.

Most people don't know that she was an awesome and amazing dog who would never pass up the chance to play when the opportunity afforded itself.

Most people don't know that in the last few months, she's been having trouble walking.

Most people don't know that in the last few months, her hind legs were getting so weak that she was having difficulty holding her own tiny frame.

Most people don't know that in the last few months, she was having difficulty getting up and down stairs and required the assistance of someone to carry her down.

Most people don't know that she loved to eat, but in the last few months had begun to lose her appetite.

I got an email from my dad last week about their dog. This is what it said:

"Just want you all to know that Mom and I decided to put Fudge to sleep to-day. It was a very difficult decision. I took her out for the last walk this morning before taking her to the Vet. It was sad to see her leave but she is in the better place now and no more pain and suffering."

When I first read this email, I was pretty unfazed and didn't think much of it. But today, I talked to my brother in Denver and he told me that when my dad brought her to the vet, he started crying. When I heard that, I my heart broke because my dad's not an uber-emotional person, so for him to cry, the situation must've been really difficult for him. And as I re-read the email and get to the part about my dad walking Fudge for the last time, it finally hit me that the next time I go home, It'll just be my parents, and no dog.

Honestly, she was one of the sweetest, most playful little dogs I've ever known, and although I say to many people that Fudge was my parents' dog, the reality of it is that she was my dog too, and it's kinda sad that I only now acknowledge this fact after she's gone.

Fudge, I shall really miss you, for you were truly this man's best friend.



5 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger miranda said...

A very nice ode kevin!

I'm sad for your parents. Hope they're doing well! (and you too!)

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Natasha said...

Sorry to hear about Fudge!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Rachel Pede said...

The exact same thing happened to my family and my dad with our dog.
My dad cried when we vacuumed the carpet because her paw prints disappeared forever.
It is heartbreaking to lose the ones we love, including dogs.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger nate.the.great said...

oh no, not fudge!!

that really sucks...

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger lizzo said...

awww, fudge :( so sad. she was a fun dog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home