..:Yahtzee:..

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Phone

For the past 3 years, I've been living in Canada. From North York to Hamilton, I've seen it all. Actually, that's a massive lie. I haven't seen much at all. The furthest west I've ever gone is Sarnia, and the furthest east I've ever gone is Montreal. So really, I haven't really grown beyond the 'tourist' stage. Anyways, back to the original point of this post.

Since many of my friends and all of my family live in the US, it's been a hassle for them to call me. Not to mention pretty flippin' expensive. Typically, they need to use a calling card, or VOIP service like Vonage or something to keep the costs down. But now, I've found a cheap, and FREE way for them to call.

This evening, I found myself stumbling across this website that lets you sign up for a free US based number, and forward it to any number in North America. Now, I dunno if it's ANYWHERE, but I recently signed up for a Michigan based number and had it forward all calls to my Hamilton cell phone, and guess what? It works!! Not only does it work really well, but it even shows the call display from the number of the person who's calling. Typically, if someone is using a calling card, a jumbled mess shows up on my call display. But today, when my brother called me from his cell phone, his number showed up.

Why am I blogging about this? Is my purpose to gloat? Am I rubbing my coolness all over the world wide web for all to choke on? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! The reason I post this is mainly for my friends here in Canada who find themselves traveling to the US often.

For example, let's say someone from Hamilton is to travel to somewhere like, oh, let's say, Las Vegas. And just to make the scenario all that more obscure and "not based on a real person", let's say they were going with a group of friends for a convention. And to make the "random meter" shoot off the charts, let's say this person was unable to travel with their children and significant other, although I'm quite certain that if it were possible, the whole family would go together. Anyways, what would be a way for this person to call home relatively inexpensively, or better yet, for free?

I KNOW!!!!!

Sign up for a US number through this website, setup the call forwarding to the appropriate number, and you're done!! A cool thing about this website is that it allows you to leave voicemails on its system, and every time you get a voicemail, you are alerted via email of the new message.

All I can say is "HUZZAH!!! THIS ARE TASTY!!!!!"

2 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger Krista Jefferson Photography said...

You're hilarious! I'll get my "significant other" to check this out before I go to Vegas!

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea...who would leave their children and significant other at home while they went to Vegas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home