..:Yahtzee:..

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Man

Parking by my place can sometimes be a pain in the rear. We don't have designated parking spots, not do we have a driveway. All we have is street parking, and that in itself can be a challenge from time to time. There are days where people are considerate and park a bit closer to other cars to leave adequate room for other to park, but at other times, people become space hogs and have complete disregard for common courtesy.

Today, something out of the ordinary happens. Typically, when there isn't space on my street, I go around the corner and park there. When I awaken the next day and head to my car, I find this yellow piece of paper flapping underneath my front wiper. At first, I thought to myself 'Who put trash under my wiper?' Upon further inspection, I discover that it was indeed trash that some people would call a parking ticket. Apparently, there was a temporary 'no parking' permit put into play on the street I was parked on. This was unbeknownst to me as I did not return home last evening until 10:30pm, and by then, it was already really dark and whatever signs that have been put up were not visible. Needless to say, I get slapped with a $20 parking ticket for parking my car ON MY OWN FARKING STREET!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE CRAP, YO?!?!?!?!?!

Fortunately, I have a very great and knowledgable friend in Pernell who informs me that there is a place you can go to dispute parking tickets on Main street across from City Hall. After getting directions, I embark on foot from the cafe to this location that could potentially help me keep my $20 instead of forking it over to the man. At first, I couldn't find it, but fortunately, after blundering around like a tourist, I finally arrive. As I enter, I didn't know what to expect. I had psyched myself out to fight and argue and pound my fist on a table while screaming 'I DON'T DESERVE THIS TICKET!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THE INJUSTICE IN THIS WORLD!!!' Fortunately, I didn't need to do this because the people behind the counter were uncannily friendly, chipper and kind. So after putting down my name for an appointment, I wait expectantly for my name to be called.

After about 10 minutes, my name is called and I walk through this big metal door and sit down across a stocky man who looks like he was about to turn his hand into a fist and put it through my head. Fortunately, he was kind, yet very stern, which I guess would be necessary if your job is to meet with disgruntled people who have gotten parking tickets. After I sit down, I hand him the ticket, and begin explaining my situation and why I should not need to pay the ticket. He looks on his database and sees that the street I parked on was indeed temporarily turned into a no-parking street. But I made mention to the fact that it was dark, and there was no real proper signage visible at 10pm at night. I don't know what did it, but he decides to show me some grace by saying 'I'll cut you some slack this time. Have a good day.'

YOU BET YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR I'M GONNA HAVE A GOOD DAY!!!!

7 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger Jaci said...

Yaaaaaaaayyy no parking tickets!

When I lived in TO and worked downtown I used to park illegally in visitor parking of apartment buildings and things like that. It was cheaper to get the one or two parking tickets a month than to buy a monthly parking pass! Who grows up and WANTS to be a parking tickety guy!?

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Natasha said...

So did you end up having a good day?? I second jaci's thought how does one go abo0ut being that guy???

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Rich said...

I think I have financed a few re-election campaigns with my contributions to the parking ticket gods.

Granted though, as much as they are despised, they only give tickets to people who are doing something wrong......

Even still, glad you beat the man!

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father is a Parking Ticket Invigilator. And i find the comments on this blog offensive. My father always knew he wanted to be a PTI - he believes in justice and backing The Man ... so for all of you to try to "stick it to him" is just plain hurtful. I think he makes a difference in our world and i am proud of him.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KIDDING!! hahahaha!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Rachel Pede said...

ha Miranda, jokester extraordinarie.

I'm glad you got out of your 20$, I wonder if there is a place to fight the man in Sarnia too.
I got a parking ticket for being on the road past 2am. Apparently that is wrong in Sarnia. Weird.

Glad you had a great day Kev, you deserve it!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Jaci said...

I've decided Kevin does not deserve the parking ticket break as he is mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home