..:Yahtzee:..

Saturday, December 02, 2006

A Wet and Hot Day

I was able to experience both ends of the temperature spectrum today. For some, this would be a good thing, but the way it unfolded for me, I thought it absolutely bit the big one.

----------------------

WET

This morning, I met with someone at the McMaster Divinity College to get more information about taking an elective at Mac instead of at Tyndale. What was supposed to be a simple meeting turned out to be a big suck. For starters, it was raining like nobody's business, but fortunately I had my car so I was sheltered from the vertical H2O. That is, until I needed to find parking. Today was the first time I had been on the McMaster campus, so I didn't know what to expect in terms of parking. Rachel had warned me that parking was atrocious, so I had braced myself for the worst. Apparently I didn't brace myself well enough because what I had envisioned in my mind was a day on the beach compared to what I received.

As I pull up to the booth to pay for parking, I ask the lady inside the box 'I have a meeting at the Divinity College. Where is that?' She points to the building and says 'it's over there, but you can't park there. All the spots are reserved, so you'll need to park at the main lot and walk over.' As she says this, I watch my wipers flip back and forth like the arms of someone floating in the pool who doesn't know how to swim. I look around my car and realize I had not brought my umbrella. Strike 1. Strike 2 comes when I drive up and down EVERY SINGLE AISLE and cannot find a parking space. After 15 minutes of aimless driving in a packed lot, I finally find a spot, which happens to be the absolute last spot in the furthest corner of the lot. Just my luck, right? Well, it gets better.

I get out of the car and make my way to the Divinity College. No umbrella, no hat, no gloves. I finally arrive at the office of the person I was supposed to meet with, literally dripping wet. I excuse myself and go to the mens room and grab a bunch of paper towels and dry my hair as best I could. The entire time, I was thinking to myself 'I'm so glad I didn't put gel in my hair today.' After cleaning up, I go back into the office and take a set. As I start talking to Jeff, I begin explaining my morning ordeal with the weather and tell him I had the fortune of finding the parking spot that I did. He inquisitively, yet compassionately looks at me and says 'you could've parked in our parking lot here. We've got these little tickets you could put in your dash that lets you park in our lot.' At once, I began to think of the movie 'Fight Club' to see if I could remember how to build explosives so I could chuck one into that good for nothing ticketing booth as a thank you for screwing me over.

After venting out my frustrations internally, we proceed with the meeting and start chatting about school stuff. It was a good meeting which was both informative and productive, albeit quite quick. I found myself stalling and drumming up some small talk for the purpose of giving myself more time to dry before I head back outside. Unfortunately, our conversation drew to a close, and I found myself back in the rain. This time around, I discover that the rain had gotten significantly colder and harder. In fact, as I was walking into the wind, the rain was coming down so hard that it literally felt like little tiny needles being stuck into my face. I distinctly remember audibly making sounds and noises in response to the pain. As I was walking I would randomly peep out 'Oww!!' or 'Ooohhh!!'

Needless to say, this was not a very good way to start my day.

----------------------

HOT


After my wet, wet morning, I decide to come home and dry off. I towel off my hair and change into some dry clothes, all the while start cursing at the fact that my room is unbelievably cold. In fact, it feels so cold, that more times than not it seems to be the same temperature outside as it is in my room. After cleaning up, I take a gander at the vent that is supposed to be blowing out hot air. I put my hand up to it and feel the slightest bit of warm air coming through. As I felt this tease of warm air, I think to myself 'my farts are hotter than this!!' As I was about to give up and start cursing again, I notice this tiny little lever to the left of the vent. I lift the lever up, and magically, the tiny bit of warm air turns into a turbine engine and pumps hot air into my face. It turns out that the vent has been closed this whole entire time, and I had been too much of an idiot to open it up.

Thanks to this recent discovery, I am now in a room that is no longer frigid. If only I had been an engineer, I would have made this discovery much, much sooner. Oh, wait, I was an engineer. I guess my stupidity trumps whatever education I managed to receive.

2 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Margie said...

If only you were an engineer... ha ha ha ... he he he ...good golly you are funny!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger miranda said...

LOL!!!

thanks for the good laugh AT YOUR EXPENSE!!

if it's any consolation, i was also stuck in the hell-for-rain-and-cold yesterday waiting for my LATE bus with NO bus shelter wearing SANDLES!! (it was warm in the morning!) Frost-bitten skin + needle-dropping rain = sore feet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home