..:Yahtzee:..

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Living The Dream

This evening, the Detroit Tigers beat the Oakland A's 6-3 off a 3 run homerun by Magglio Ordonez. I was unable to watch the game and see the pandemonium that ensued after a single swing jettisoned the Tigers into its first World Series appearance in 22 years. But what I did do was watch the free gamecast coverage of the game on ESPN.com. When I saw the graphics of a baseball going from homeplate to the edge of the baseball diamond, I knew that it was over. While everyone at the blogger party was talking and chatting, I started screaming and jumped up and down in elation. I shot my hands up in celebration and yelled 'WE'RE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!' Fortunately, I wasn't alone. Jaci's brother Gary joined me in celebration as we hugged each other and started jumping around.

I'm so excited that the Tigers have turned everything around in a matter of 2 years. The 2003 season was perhaps the lowest the franchise sank where they were fighting to not set the record for most games lost in a single season. They were able to finish with a 43-119 record, but ever since then, they've been on the rise, and this year, it's the Year of the Tiger. Whether it's the Mets or the Cardinals, Detroit's ready to hand out a slick whoopin' on whoever joins the World Series dance.

---------
Quick Summary: So far, Detroit has claimed the WNBA championship. Hopefully the city will be able to add the World Series Pennant in a few weeks, and the NBA Championship from the Detroit Pistons in a few months. Lofty goals? Perhaps, but either way, it's good to be a Detroiter.

5 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While i really am happy for you i am sad every time i see that name "World" Series. :( it feels so typical of what is alienating me from America (that too, a label that feels so presumptuous - ignoring the other 36 countries in the Americas or implying they are somehow lesser). sorry, Kev. This is absolutely not a shot at you. I know *you* didn't name it and i'm sure that citizens of the United States mean no offense. Neither do i. I hope our friendship is strong enough that i can try to explain these feelings. You're ok .. alot better than just 'ok', actually. :) Thank you for listening. Take care, Kev.
sc

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Jaci said...

Baseball is for weridos.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Margie said...

Amen Jaci:)

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Jason Soper said...

I can manage to watch a game of baseball if I am really bored, lol!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Kev Chen said...

Steve - Even if I didn't talk to you about your thoughts on the "world" series at church yesterday, I would still think very highly of you. I agree with what you're saying and how the US puts themselves out there just to toot their own horn in the face of others. Hopefully I've represented my country in a better light. Thanks for being so honest and so wise, Steve.

Jaci, Margie and Jason - I would tend to agree that baseball isn't the most exciting of all sports, and if I had to choose between watching baseball and knitting a sweater, I'd knit a sweater. But it's so exciting to see a team who was the laughing stock of the entire major league just a couple years ago, and pull a complete 180 and vie for the championship pennant. My only regret is not following this team during the regular season, because now I feel like a fairweather fan who decided to hop on the bandwagon when they're doing well, but ignoring them when they were in the dumps.

Pernell - Thanks for the virtual thumbs up and pat on the back. I think you did a fantastic job at St. Thomas yesterday. I'm really excited to see what God does in that community. Could you keep us posted if you hear anything?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home