..:Yahtzee:..

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Garlic

(This used to be the first paragraph of a run-on post, so I decided to clip it and separate the 3 parts into 3 different blog posts. So here is part 1 of 3.)

After a day in Mississauga, I came back to the Hammer and stopped at the FRWY with Melissa, my carpool buddy. I was getting kinda hungry and started thinking of what I wanted to eat. Mark was at the cafe as well, so we put our heads together to think of something to eat, something different, yet tasty. As we poked our heads into the fridge, we saw this mysterious tub. At first, I thought it was potato salad, but a closer look revealed that it was hummus. Mark and I thought 'Well, this is new! What can we do with this?' As we started thinking, a stroke of genius came to Mark and he began to reveal his fabulous idea. He suggested taking a bagel and slicing it up REALLY thin, toasting it up, and spreading the hummus onto it. It took about a nano second for my brain to process this idea and realize that I was in the presence of a culinary mastermind. Since Mark was the brains, it seemed only fair that I was the brawn, so I began slicing the bagels and handing them to Mark to toast. As they were toasting, we took some hummus and started adding a couple ingredients to it. Although it was already pretty tasty, we felt it wasn't quite strong enough, so we scooped out some of the hummus and added some lemon juice and garlic powder to it. We mixed it up, spread it onto the bagel slices and took a bite. In unison, we both squealed in delight because of how well our Frankenstein hummus tasted with the crunchiness of the bagel slices. Both Mark and I come from the school of thought that there is no such thing as too much garlic. In fact, if we asked whether we needed more garlic, we took that as a sign that it wasn't garlicy enough. We savored our creation to the last bite and had to exercise some serious will power to not eat the rest of the hummus. We decided to share our joy with Randy and let him sample some of it. Unfortunately, he did not enjoy our concoction as much as we did, to which I thought to myself 'well, more for me and Mark!!' As we were relishing our fooding victory, Mark thought it'd be funny if I went up to Randy and started breathing right into his face with my oral garlic stink. I thought it'd be funny as well, so I went up to Randy and whispered into his face 'Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhey, RRRRRHHHHHHHHAndy. Could I take some of this HHHHHHHHHHHHHHummus HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHome with me?' After taking a couple steps back and coughing a few times, he said yes. What a great guy Randy is. He could have responded by punching me in the face, but instead returned my garlic stink with generosity. How many people do you know would do that?

3 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Jaci said...

Garlic ice cream? Not sure I understand. Everything sounded yummy the way you described it - you should write for a food magazine! Start critiquing all the restaurants you go to - especially in Hamilton - I'd love to find new places to eat!

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Longest post EVA!! throughally enjoyed it though kev! That was some great writing! - I back Jaci! - you should critique food! I'd also like to say Jaci - (and all other non-believers - the garlic icecream was ACTUALLY good! it was bizairre - but delicious!)

AND, thanks for coming Kevin!
Here's to women shaking their head at you in disgust, to clearing your throat ridiculously loud in public and to ... to Garlic!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Kev Chen said...

Jaci - I would love to check out some different dining spots in Hamilton. In fact, there's this Greek restaurant around the corner from my place that looks quite inviting. Perhaps I'll go there and give it a try.

Miranda - That's what I live for: Women shaking their head at me, clearing my throat so as to embarass YOU, and enough garlic to revive the dead. Thanks again for having me!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home