..:Yahtzee:..

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Dalit Freedom, Now and Forever

Today was a day that seemed to be focused on India. From morning till evening, it was all about India and about what God is doing within the Dalit/Untouchables in India. As I find myself reflecting on the day, I'm beginning to realize that I think I've signed up for something that I don't know if I can get out of. It seems that ever since I've come back from India, there's been a stead stream of reminders God's been throwing my way. From sharing about the trip, to going down to Akron for a Dalit Symposium, to connecting with DFN Canada, to seeing the director of OM INdia and DFN US, I think being an advocate and spokesperson for the Dalit people is something that I probably can't escape from. And amidst being surrounded by a generation that seems to hate labels, I think this is one I don't mind having. If being labeled as a Dalit advocate means speaking out on the injustice and oppression heaped upon a people group that is larger than the entire population of Canada, then I plead guilty. If being a Dalit spokesperson means to raise awareness to the daily dehumanization and raping of the Dalit women, then I plead guilty.

After spending this day focusing on the plight of the Dalit and hearing about what kinds of progress has been made for their emancipation from the Hindu caste system, I am filled with hope, excitement and trepidation. Hopeful in knowing that God is at work regardless of whether or not I succeed or fail in doing what I've been called to do. Excited because I am not alone in this journey. And trepidatious because I still don't know what I'm doing. Before today, I've been thinking and praying about how to network and connect with people in Canada who share a heart for the Dalit, and today seemed to be the first time this thinking and praying became a taste of reality. Talking with different people after the gathering seemed to open a beautiful can of worms that I can't wait to sift through and use to fish for bigger fish.

God is good.

5 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Kev Chen said...

ABBY!!!!!

I think one of the simplest ways of getting involved is to keep the Dalit people in mind and try to share their story to different people.

Another way is to participate in the child sponsorship program that's similar to what Compassion International and World Vision does. You can go to www.dalitnetwork.org (US) or www.dalitfreedom.net (Canada) to get more info. Or we can chizzat it up!!

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

 
At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

 
At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Daljit jhamat(dj) said...

what a great site! ialso do the bloging.on the right hand of your blog i saw previous post section. how did you do that one..please send me an e-mail.the article about dalit freedom network is great.my blog address is
gnn7

 

Post a Comment

<< Home